In workshop five, we experimented with picture editing using the adjustment layers on Adobe Photoshop.
Using a series of post-production techniques, we adjusted a selection of photos we have taken throughout the module- cropping, editing and colour-correcting our images.
Cropping and colour correction one:
I began by using the cropping tool when editing my first photo, in order to remove the person on the right-hand side of the image. I then increased the brightness level from 0 to +60, as I felt the photograph was too dark.
I also experimented with various filters, including the cooling filter and the warming filter. After some consideration, I decided to use the warming filter as I felt it added depth.
Moreover, I then decided to increase the saturation of the photograph to +5 and the vibrance level to +40. This was very effective as it complimented the shot well, and boosted the warmth- making Sapphire’s hair even more bold.
Using the various adjustment layers, I was able to make the photograph appear more more striking and eye-catching.
Cropping and colour correction two:
My second photograph was taken in an office that contained lots of dark furniture. Therefore, when editing this image, I began by increasing the brightness level to +20 which instantly made the image pop.
In addiction, I felt the original photograph appeared to be fairly cold. Therefore, I increased the saturation level to +20, and also added a cyan red tint which made the image appear warmer.
Cropping and colour correction three:
For the third photograph, I began decreasing the brightness to -10. As the photograph had been taken using the flash setting, I felt it needed to be made darker in order for the pigment of the flowers to appear stronger.
Moreover, I then increased the vibrance level to +50 and the saturation to +10. These big increases were necessary as they made the photograph more colourful and bold.
Experimenting with the different adjustment layers meant that, after a series of changes, I was able to create a more aesthetically pleasing image.
Once I had edited the photographs on Adobe Photoshop, I resized them before exporting.
Extra Credit Task: Post-production “before and after” task
For the extra credit task, I chose to take a series of portrait shots of my cousin on a quiet street in Leeds city centre.
The image below was the best shot from the selection, and therefore, I chose to edit this one first.
Following a series of adjustments, using Adobe Photoshop, I was pleased with the final result.
I shot the images using a Canon EOS DSLR camera. I chose to use the creative auto mode because I wanted the effect of the background blur, as I felt it made the subject the primary focus of the shot.
In order to improve the image, I increased the exposure to make the image brighter. I then increased the saturation and vibrance levels, which helped to add more life to the photograph.
I was pleased with the composition of the shot, and felt the subject was positioned well, and thus I didn’t feel the photo needed to be cropped. Therefore, only a few adjustments were needed to be made to improve the image.
Once the photographs had been edited, I saved the images in the correct format for online- JPEG.
This image is another test shot I chose from the selection. I used the creative mode once again for this shot, as I wanted the subject to be the central focus.
I made a series of changes using the adjustment levels to enhance the shot. I increased the vibrance and saturation levels which helped to make the image pop, adding more pigment to the shot and making the colours more vivid.
Overall, I really enjoyed the extra credit task. I liked experimenting with the different camera modes until I found one which produced the best image.
Editing the photographs was also fun. I felt I was able to enhance the images using the different adjustment levels and further improve my knowledge of Adobe Photoshop.
You must be logged in to post a comment.